Oh We're Half Way There

By | 01:25 Leave a Comment
We are officially at the half way mark of our internships today. Its incredible especially when I feel like I've just gotten settled. I can't pinpoint exactly when it happened, but just recently I noticed that life here seemed normal and I'm feeling pretty happy and grounded. Looking back, the past three months have been a mix of letting go of habits from home and adapting to the new environment. Here are some of the hurdles I feel like I've gotten over:

Giving up on My Hair (And Other Things Related to My Appearance)
We all want to look our best, especially when making first impressions. This is a bit challenging when your iron seems to be hot enough to burn fabric but useless at getting wrinkles out. Or when your hairdryer shorts-out in the first month despite being plugged into an adaptor. Its also hard to let go of your own personal style in favour of wearing culturally appropriate clothes. But coming to work wearing my hair in a French braid and following the style advice from co-workers (knee length but fitted skirts get a big thumbs up) always results in the biggest compliment of all; “You look so African today!”
Getting Around
There are few things that make me feel more stressed than not knowing where I'm going. On top of that stress, buses here constantly change their routes, most taxi drivers seem only vaguely familiar with the city, and I swear there is a really good video game idea about walking down Dar streets and dodging traffic in all its various forms. Eventually you just have to let go of the panic and go with it. You try to guess what the different money-making strategies are for the buses, work out the point system for the video game and know that the taxi can always ask people for directions once they are in the right neighbourhood.

Social Diversity
When I first got here, all four of us interns stuck together all the time. We only knew the few people we worked with and each other. This led to a lot of together time, which was a little intense for four people who didn't know each other before training. Now we've made friends with our co-workers, neighbours and a rather large group of Canadian ex-pats that would make you wonder if Canada is exporting its youth to Tanzania. Instead of having too much down time, we've switched over to trying to balance our social schedules among all the different demands. This has gone a long way to break-up the group a bit and give everyone a breather from each other (probably a saving grace for our friendships).


I confess I'm a bit surprised to find myself sad to be at this point. After counting down the days during the first few months, all of a sudden I want every week to stretch out and give me more time. I'm beginning to think I might just have found another place in the world where I feel at home.

0 comments:

Post a Comment