One Last Market Women Story

By | 00:55 Leave a Comment
I owe everyone one more story for the Global Solidarity Challenge. Unfortunately I got rained out on the friday (as did the entire city) and last week turned more than a little hectic with last minute work. In addition to being my last GSC story, this will also be my last story about market women in Tanzania as I fly out to my city and job in London tomorrow.


I would like to introduce Consolatha Cleophas, a tailor in Ilala market who is one of the most energetic paralegals in our programme. All by herself she started using what she learned in the paralegal training to conduct legal awareness sessions in the market. I interviewed her on Tuesday and I would like to share her story.

Why Did You Apply to Become a Paralegal?
When I saw the advertisements for paralegal I didn't know what a paralegal was. Then EfG came to the market and explained which made me curious. Even thought I didn't know a lot about it, I thought it was an opportunity to learn. Now I really like what I am doing and I am happy to be able to help my community know the laws and help people settle disputes.

Why did you start also teaching even men in the markets about legal issues?
I have been teaching both women and men traders in the market. At first I only taught women, but then the men wanted to know as well so I started to teach them. Mainly we talk about marriage and inheritance laws. I discovered that men also don't know the laws. If I only teach women it can create conflict. Men are happy about the teaching and are even asking for publications. I'm happy to share publications with the men because they go home and teach everyone in their household, including women and girls about the law.

What are People Most Surprised to Learn About in the Laws?
Most people are surprised to learn that any property bought during a marriage is joint property. Both women and men usually think that only men can own property but even a housewife is entitled to property bought by the husband during the marriage.

People are also surprised to learn that if a woman and a man live together for two years in a community they are recognized to be married. If they divorce, the women has the same rights to support and property as in a registered marriage.

Why is it important for women to know their rights and the laws?
It is important because laws affect the daily lives of women and they need to be able to defend their rights. Right now married women buy land secretly and keep the title with a friend because they are afraid of their husbands. A lot of women suffer abuse but “only god knows” because they don't understand their rights and where to go for help.

How has being a paralegal changed how you feel about yourself?
Being a paralegal has really changed my status in the market. I have discovered that I love to teach people. Now as I go through the market both men and women call me “Mama Law.” I am respected and people seek me out for advice.

What has been the most exciting thing so far about being a paralegal?

I travelled to Dodoma and I got to meet with an established paralegal unit there. They started just like we are starting but now those first paralegals even train other paralegals. There are some paralegals who have gone back to school and now hold law degrees. When I see that, I think even one day I could become a lawyer.

Working with Equality for Growth has been an amazing experience and the nine months I have spent here were incredible. Thanks so much to everyone whose followed along and read my blog. I plan to continue to right though in a slightly different vein in London so please stay tuned for updates!

0 comments:

Post a Comment