Trip to North London Vintage Market

By | 03:30 Leave a Comment
Back in December I came across a list of Christmas markets in a Timeout Magazine. Much to my joy (because there were a lot more markets than I could get to over Christmas) some of them were regular markets that occur once a month. Top of my list was a visit to the North London Vintage Market and this month I made the trek to North London to check it out.

I haven't spent a lot of time in North London, and journey was a bit of an adventure in itself. We ended up having a nice walk through a bit of Highate woods on our way there. It wasn't the best day for a trek but I've noted it among my parks to explore further at a later date.


The market was smaller than I expected and we arrived late in the 2nd day, but it still had a really good selection of vintage goods. I would say its a solid vintage market with a wide range items. Sometimes vintage markets have a bit of a focus. Some lean more towards clothes or houseware or collectables, but I think it had a real mix. Especially given it had been running already for a few days.

Some of my personal highlights included:

A good collection of sewing notions including vintage spools of threads, wonderful collection of buttons, including many of them in complete sets (making them much easy to work with). There was also one woman with a good collection of vintage patterns. Finding truely vintage patterns can be hard. You get a lot of 80's and 70's but the 50's and 40's are much harder to come by.

There was also a wide range of vintage jewelry. There were earings with posts galore and a lot of compacts and pinss. Post earings aren't very comfortable but unless you are really trying to preserve their value, many jewelers can change them for you.

On the clothing front, they had everything from coats to sweaters to skirts and trousers. I was very tempted by an 50s swing coat with velvet collar but I resisted.

I was also very tempted by all the vintage kitchenware which I always love. However, my kitchen is almost overflowing and more kitchenware is pretty impossible.

I would definitely visit to it again, though I might go earlier in the weekend next time. Its a small market but a goody.

Note: I didn't feel comfortable taking photos inside the venue, so I've borrowed some from their blog (hope they don't mind!)




0 comments:

Post a Comment