Arbonne Review Part 1 - RE9

By | 07:00 Leave a Comment

Let me start off by saying, my skin and I are not friends. Much like my relationship with my hair, my skin and I have had a long battle of who is in control, and I must say that my skin puts up a hell of a fight.

My skin is dry most of the time, and decides to break out whenever it feels like it - though mostly with hormonal changes and stress. I'm sorry to all the teens who thought zits would be a thing of the past; they sadly don't ever really stop being a thing.

A friend of mine recently read a few of the blog reviews and wondered if I would be interested in reviewing some products from Arbonne ( a company she's recently become a rep for). She let me sample a few of their products (thank you!) so I could get a good idea about what the company, and products are like.

The Brand

For those of you who are not familiar with Arbonne, they are based in California and first started in 1980, with offices in Canada, the UK and Australia. Unlike most cosmetic brands you can't buy them in stores. Similar to Avon, Arbonne uses consultants to sell directly to the consumer.

Also unlike most cosmetic brands, Arbonne prides itself in being naturally based, vegan & PETA certified, allergy tested, pH correct, compliant with Canadian, European, Australian and American standards, and good for your body and the environment (phew...that's a lot of stuff). I've started a naughty list for my makeup and beauty products and luckily Arbonne doesn't have any of the bad stuff I like to stay away from.

According to Arbonne all of their products are formulated without:
  • Animal products.by-products
  • Parabens
  • Formaldehyde
  • PABA
  • Synthetic dyes
  • Triclosan
  • Hydroquinone
  • Gluten
  • petroleum based products
They have a HUGE range of products in everything to do with health and beauty. Ok so, with all that information it's pretty clear that Arbonne has a huge leg up on most of their competitors for the all natural stuff, but how well do they work? 

The Products

I tested out the RE9 series of skin care products which comes with:
  1. Cleanser
  2. Toner
  3. Serum
  4. Eye Cream
  5. Day Moisturizer
  6. Night Moisturizer

The Cleanser

You only need a tiny bit, but it sure does foam up! Now, I'm not normally a foamy cleanser kind of person. Foamy cleansers have historically always left my skin feeling dry,red, and tight; it's never a pretty sight. Not to mention extra foam almost always means extra chemicals. I was somewhat surprised to find that despite the incredible foam, my skin felt clean, but also nourished.


The Toner

The best thing about the toner in this set is that it is a spray. I hate fussing with cotton pads and all that and wiping stuff all over my face. The spray toner is a winner in my books!





The Serum

It gets a bit tingly which I'm not entirely sure I like, but it seems to do the trick so I think I can overlook it. There is very little scent ( there is a hint of citrus, but nothing crazy) and it actually seems to penetrate your skin rather than sit on top which is nice.




The Eye Cream

I can't really speak to how good this eye cream is. Not because it isn't as good as the other products, but because I've never actually been an eye cream person. To me a good moisturizer should be able to do it all as far as I've always been concerned. I didn't test this out as long as I would like, but I would be willing to give this whole eye cream thing a shot.


The Day/Night Moisturizer

With an SPF of 20 in the day moisturizer I was sold as soon as I saw it. I'm on the pale side and as most people know sun exposure is the number one cause of skin damage. With the higher, SPF the day moisturizer is a bit heavy, but I wore thinned out with a bit of liquid foundation for some light coverage. The night moisturizer isn't too heavy which is unusual for a night cream and sets you up for a lovely night to regenerate and rejuvenate your skin!



With that whole whack of skincare products it seems like quite the chore to apply them all twice a day, but I have to say it was actually a pleasure. I found myself getting a bit excited to wash my face in the morning, and couldn't wait to spray on my toner at night too. The whole kit and kaboodle will set you back $395 for all of these products which is a serious commitment to skin care. This is however much less expensive than buying all of these products separately from a similar or comparable brand like Clarins, Estee Lauder, or Clinique.

Conclusion

 I have to say I am very impressed with the RE9 set of skincare products. I haven't felt this confident to go makeup free in a very long time and my skin really does feel firmer, and glowing. With all the good stuff in the products and knowing everything is botanically based it makes me feel good about putting this stuff all over my skin (and therefor in my body). I only have a single issue with Arbonne, and it certainly is not their amazing products.

When trying to live ethically, you try to buy natural products, and ensure that your environmental impact is low, sure. But there are other sides to this too. The human side is also important. Arbonne sadly refuses to work with fair-trade products, and will not release any of their ingredient sourcing information, or information on the working conditions on those who harvest their ingredients.

 It's great to see a company that is so committed to great ingredients and what seems like a more natural approach to the beauty industry. But paying people fair wages and encouraging safe working conditions shouldn't be "proprietary" information, if it is in fact something they support. They should be yelling it from the rooftops and encouraging other companies to do the same.






0 comments:

Post a Comment