Pancake Day!

By | 00:00 1 comment

I am a firm believer that all holidays involving food are good holidays. So pancake day makes my list of holidays, obviously! Now normally I'm not a huge fan of pancakes. I often pass on that sort of 'sweet breakfast' in favour of eggier options. But pancake day is different. I have been known to hold pancake day dinners in honour of this important holiday.

Now there are a wide variety of pancake options. British pancakes are more like crepes (which seem more French to me but don't tell them). However, I have to go for North American style pancakes (I would have said Canadian style but lets be honest, you'd all be confused). This is because my pancake recipe is one of those family thing- Dad's World Famous Pancakes. All our family recipes that are made by my dad are always called 'Dad's World Famous X". Dad's World Famous Stew, Dad's World Famous Steak... and Dad's World Famous Pancakes.

Now I'm sharing this recipe but if you are going to use Dad's World Famous Pancake recipe there are rules. It can be made thick or thin, big or small but they must be served with butter and maple syrup. No blueberries or other fruit. Chocolate chips, ice cream, whip cream are all out. This is recipe for pancake purists. And it has to be real maple syrup. Go out and buy some. You will thank me.


Dad's World Famous Pancakes

1.5 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder 
1 tbs sugar
1 egg 

2-3 cup of milk 
1tbs melted buuter
canola oil

 
Mix the dry ingredients. Mix the wet ingredients in separate bowl except the 3rd cup of milk. Add the wet to dry mixing thoroughly. Add more milk to get the batter to the consistency desired. More milk means lighter thinner pancakes, too little milk makes the pancakes lumpy. Heat canola oil in fry pan, add about a wine glass full of batter. Cook until small bubbles have appeared, flip to cook the other side.


Now go forth and cook pancakes! Spread the joy among the world!



1 comment: Leave Your Comments