Saying Goodbye to My City of Origin

By | 07:21 Leave a Comment
I have to say goodbye to my city of origin for awhile and I have been visiting my favourite restaurants before I go. Here is a list of my must-eat places before I take off.

1. Seventh Sister Bakery
Where would I be without you? I can tell you where I would be, smoked salmon bagel-less! That's where I would be!  And also lacking in croissant, chocolate banana muffins, extra butter-bean coffee and other very delicious things.  I hit up this local bakery every weekend and it never disappoints.  The only thing that would make it better is for it to be open at 7:30 so I could swing by on my way to work... or maybe it's better that it's closed?  Check it out



2. Queen and Beaver
The best of British food in Toronto.  I actually had my birthday here last year because I was so in love with their menu. It doesn't matter if you do brunch, pub food or full dinner, it's all wonderful. For my goodbye meal I went for Fish and Chips because it's a classic. But whatever I eat from the menu, there is always one thing that never changes; I must have sticky toffee pudding and no sharing because, let's be honest, I really want to eat the whole thing myself. Check it out




3. La Carnita
Toronto is experiencing a Mexican explosion and I, for one, am extremely grateful. I did my MA in Chicago and ever since I left I've missed good Mexican taco joints. La Carnita totally hits the spot. There are plenty of individual tacos for order and other appetizers. I went last week and we had cod, chicken and pulled pork. All good, but I have to say the cod was the best.A great place, though I suggest getting there early if you don't want to stand in line forever waiting for a table. (Also I know you don't think you'll finish a pitcher of margaritas but...)Check it out




4. The Auld Spot
Before I moved to the west side of Toronto, I lived east of the DVP and I have to thank my brother for introducing me to this place. This is where we take all out-of-town visitors. Its a gastro pub that doesn't act like a gastro pub. The food is superb and creative without being pretentious.  I would say eat off the specials board as much as you can, though I don't blame you for being distracted by their regular menu- it's pretty spectacular too. 
Check it out


5. County General This is another of those places that I have a deep and abiding love for.  The drink menu is incredible and constantly changing.  I've tried just about everything on their food menu, but I think they do just about the most perfect burger ever and you should go with that... unless you are a die-hard fried chicken fan and then it's no contest. It's also one of those places that defies the fries or salad dilemma. Normally the fries vs. salad is a healthy vs. not health decision. But here its actually a war of competing desires because their Boston leaf lettuce salad is amazing and the perfect balance to their food. Though their fries... see this is my problem! Check it out

0 comments:

Post a Comment