Guardian Summer Style - Eco Revamp

By | 08:25 Leave a Comment
I'm one of those people who believes that the word 'ethical' and 'fashion' are equally important in the phrase 'ethical fashion'. Ethical clothing is one thing and ethical fashion is another. There is a lot of ethical clothing.You have your hippie/wood-spirit/outdoors guru eco-clothing (shout out to British Columbia!). There is a certain retro style movement.  And then there is just plan and shapeless. But I like my fashion to be unique without being considered its own style genre. I'll admit finding ethical fashion can be a bit of a challenge but it can definitely be done.

For those who also like ethical fashion, I thought I do some of the leg work for you. For good tips to update your wardrobe, I love the Guardian's style section and it often features ethical options. However, this was not the focus of their summer style recommendation. So I'm going to take their style suggestions and provide you with some ethical and fashionable options.

Here is Guardian's recommendations by Lauren Laverne:

Minimal Column Maxi Dress
The trend is minimal column dresses (though Laura loved the long sleeved floral dress in the pic above). I'm going to redirect you to this maxi column dress by Made&More. Its also has a bit of the eyelet look which goes with the top featured above. However, if you are feeling up for a project, maxi dresses are a great simply sewing project. I've made two with this pattern by mccalls and I get a lot of wear (and compliments) out of them.

Generous-Sized Silk Scarf
The suggestion is to acquire a silk scarf that works as a cover from the sun or protection of over-zealous AC. So many choices in this category! I'm not sold on it having to be silk. I like these basic bamboo scarfs by Aura Que and this amazing water-coloured one is by scout and catalogue (bit of a splurge). However, if you want a silk scarf, I would hunt second-hand and vintage because there are tons available.















Bermuda Shorts
The Guardian recommends investing in beach bermudas shorts. Well, I don't really go for shorts (I either feel nearly naked or like a camp counselor) But these skorts by Preloved boutique I might be tempted to try and are very on trend (available in a variety of colours). Or if skirts are you thing, Preloved has one in ivory brocade with a bit of denim contrasting trim (I also like the crop top with the skirt).

Update Classic Shirt
Updated classic was what the Guardian suggested you look for in a summer shirt. White shirts are very summery and I like the cut of this cotton blouse from People tree. For something more causal, go DIY and update an old white t-shirt with an ombre look which always feels summery.


 

























Eye-wear
Apparently, eye-wear this summer should be rounded and colourful. I'd definitely check out the vintage shops for something unique but inexpensive. You can always get the lens replaces so look at frames rather than the glasses as a whole. But if you want eco-friendly, while they aren't the 'coolest shape', these wood-frame sunglasses by Proof Eyewear are inspired by wayfarer frames.


Sandals
They don't talk foot-ware in the article (outrageous!). But shoes are in the picture above and I'm adding them to my review. Birkenstock are actually in this year. (So many videos of people raving about how comfortable they are... yes that is why those of us who do a lot of walking have been a fan for years.) If you buy originals and not the knock offs, they are 'made in germany' so you are in the clear and on trend. However, if I wanted something a bit nicer, I would choose these ones from Mohop because they remind me of espadrilles but you can tie them all different ways!


Of course, before you go out and stock up on new items, take a rummage through your closet and see if you have anything that already fits the bill.  Its always surprising what you may turn up that you had forgotten about.

0 comments:

Post a Comment