Solidarity Day 3 - Toronto Edition by @AliaK_

By | 09:07 Leave a Comment
Day 3 started out the same as my other days; with one banana for breakfast ($0.14) and leftovers from the dinner from the previous evening.($0.56)

It was only day 3 and this challenge had really got me thinking about I have been trying to make my $1.25 budget turn into glorious and delicious meals, that resemble what I would normally make on my usual budget. Dinner on day 3 was one of these attempts that worked out really well, however I had to cut out some significant ingredients that I would normally just go grab from the store.

This amazing meal was my homage to a great recipe that I discovered in Fine Cooking magazine (found here).

In the original recipe you make a has a hash of sweet potato, carrot, and zucchini covered in eggs and smoked cheddar. While I was leaving out the carrots and smoked cheddar I was able to make a very similar recipe within budget. If I didn't already have some of these items I would have been well over budget, but as Adrienne is experiencing in Tanzania, it is better to use things you already have than to let them go to waste.

Ingredients:
  • Zucchini ($0.30)
  • Yam ($0.11)
  • Egg ($0.22)
  • Sage (already had)
  • 1tsp olive oil (already had)
- chop fresh sage and fry in a small amount of oil
- Cut your Sweet potato/yam into 1cm pieces and add to sage in pan
-Cut Zucchini in 1cm pieces and add when sweet potatoes are half way done (no one likes really mushy zucchini...unless you do, then you can put it in earlier)
- cook egg in your preferred way and add on top of cooked vegetables

Very simply but absolutely delicious. Besides simple starches, sweet potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates, dietary fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, manganese and potassium. This meal is low-cal and high in nutrients; it's definitely one to keep for after the challenge is complete!

-Kaila

0 comments:

Post a Comment