Solidarity Day 4 - Toronto Edition by @AliaK_

By | 06:13 Leave a Comment
Today is the day that I began to understand what hungry feels like. On day 4 it finally started to get to me. Out of curiosity I checked how many calories I have been eating over the past few days and on most days I've been hovering somewhere around 700! The average person world wide requires at least 1800 calories a day (See here for details about calorie requirements world wide). This means that I've been eating around 1100 fewer calories than the bare minimum anyone should have.

On top of being significantly hungrier than usual, Toronto is being hit with a heat wave to make things worse. Along with making sure to drink lots of water I decided to draw some inspiration for my dinner from a warmer region of the world with a lovely curry!

My breakfast as usual was the delicious banana ($0.14) and my lunch today was my dinner from last night ($0.63). Dinner tonight was the real winner!

  Curried Lentils (sort of)




  • Rice ($0.22)
  • Lentils ($0.15)
  • Green Onion ($0.03)
  • Garlic ($0.01)
  • Curry Masala ($0.05)
Cook rice according to instructions, cook lentils separately.  When lentils and rice are done saute the garlic and green onions quickly and add in the curry powder or curry masala. After heating the curry and green onion/garlic mixture add in your lentils and give it all a stir. Serve over white rice and eat!

Total for today was under budget by $0.02!

Day 5 I will be going to a work lunch (which was scheduled before the I knew when the challenge was) but the rest of my meals will all be challenge meals! Even though I'm not paying for it (and would technically be under budget) I will still be very conscious of what I'm eating and how likely it would be that I could afford it on a $1.25 budget. Wish me luck!

-Kaila

0 comments:

Post a Comment