What We Buy When We Aren't Doing the Solidarity Challenge

By | 07:00 Leave a Comment
Global Solidarity starts July 14th and I wanted to give people a bit of a contrast of what we normally buy and what we will buy for next week.

I had a lot of people tell me they thought the challenge would be really easy for me because I would actually be in Southern Africa. Guess again my friends!


This is our grocery shopping from last weekend for the four of us in the house. We go to the South African chain Shoprite to stock up on some more western style foods about every two weeks. Mainly we focus on picking up dairy products, canned goods, and treats (Chocolate, pesto, Pringles, Cereal, olives etc.). Our vegetables, fruits, most of our dried goods like rice, flour and beans and our bread we pick up from local markets and stores.

So this is what our weekly budget looks like:
$30/person – supermarket groceries (we shop bi-monthly so that's the average weekly cost)
$10/person- rice, vegetables, fruits and beans from the markets
$1/person – bread
$8/person – power
$5/person – drinking water
$10/person – lunch/breakfast/water out at work
$2.50/person – transit to work

Total Per Week: $66.50 (Not including any weekend excursions, shopping or entertainment)
Total Per Week on Food: $51.00 or $7.30/day

So we are looking to reduce our spending on food to $1.25 a day. The strategies will include no food from the supermarket, reducing the sorts of fruits and vegetables we buy to the cheapest ones, and bringing our breakfast and lunch from home. I'll be posting the shopping purchases for that week on Sunday so stay tuned!

Also my Torontonian counterpart @AliaK_ will be guest blogging for the week as well.

If you are interested in sponsoring me and my team for the Global Solidarity Challenge please check out our fundraising page.

0 comments:

Post a Comment